Mark Kleinman, MD

Mark Kleinman, MD, MS, Principal Investigator in the Ocular Biology and Imaging Lab at the University of Kentucky
Mark Kleinman, MD, Principal Investigator in the Ocular Biology and Imaging Lab at the East Tennessee State University Quillen College of Medicine

I am a physician-scientist at East Tennessee State University specializing in diseases of the retina and vitreous. My research efforts are committed to conducting basic science investigations on neovascular and degenerative eye diseases with specific emphases on aging, inflammation and molecular imaging of early pathological changes to the retina and choroid.

Undergraduate: Emory University, B.S. in Chemistry and Biology
Medical School: New York University School of Medicine
Pre-doctoral Fellowship: Geoffrey C. Gurtner, MD, New York University
Post-doctoral Fellowship: Jayakrishna Ambati, MD, University of Kentucky
Residency and Vitreoretinal Fellowship: University of Kentucky
Current Positions: Professor, East Tennessee State University, Department of Surgery

I joined the University of Kentucky in 2006 after completing both my medical education and a surgery internship at New York University. During my 5-year M.D. degree, a program enriched with basic science research and international health projects, I developed a specific interest in the field of stem/progenitor cell biology and anomalous vascular growth, in particular with proliferating infantile hemangioma, for which I received the Weston Research Gran

At the University of Kentucky, I performed a post-doctoral research fellowship, supported by the IRRF Charles D. Kelman Award, followed by an ophthalmology residency. I have now continued my investigations with the generous support of a K08 Mentored Clinical Scientist Development Award from the National Eye Institute and a Career Development Awards from the Foundation Fighting Blindness and Research to Prevent Blindness and American Federation for Aging Research foundations. I relocated my laboratory to East Tennessee State University James H. Quillen College of Medicine in 2018. I am currently supported by the National Eye Institute (R01EY028206) and a BrightFocus Macular Degeneration Research Award.

My research interests are focused on defining the molecular interface of angiogenesis and cell death mediators within the biologic spectrum of immune-related inflammation in retinal diseases using next-generation molecular techniques in transcriptomic profiling and functional proteomics. My translational goals are focused on the development of diagnostic bio-imaging tools and to design new therapeutic approaches to vision and life threatening eye diseases. Away from work,

I thoroughly enjoy spending time with my family and continue to explore my diverse hobbies including culinary art, reading, programming audio-midi sequencers, golf, and travel.